Fun Friday Pictures:
We had fun reading the Elephant and Piggie Book, “Should I Share My Ice Cream?” We all read it together using the document camera! The kinders absolutely loved doing this. After we read the book, we each made our own ice cream cone out of paper. Check out the pictures below:
We continued on with small moment writing this week. A small moment story is a true story from your life. Our goal is to zoom in on this story and write a beginning, middle and end with details. This is going to be our last writing focus for this school year. On Monday, we worked on telling our story to our partners and drawing our cover page of the story. On Tuesday, we wrote the beginning, on Wednesday the middle and Thursday the end! We will continue with small moment stories for the next several weeks.
We are now working on character connections in reading! Our lessons this week are focusing on how we can connect with the characters in the books we are reading. We are learning that these connections help us to deeper understand the characters in the books. By understanding the characters better, we are comprehending and more and more in our reading! Our big focus this week was using the chart below to help us with these connections.
This week in math we told, retold and solved addition and subtraction stories! On Monday we worked closely with our teen number groups and built numbers 11-20 using 10 groups and ones on our blue mat. We also fluently subtracted numbers 0-10. On Tuesday, we compared the number of objects in a group and used the words greater and less for comparing. Later in the week we compared length, weight and height of various objects. Next week, we plan to wrap up this unit in math and take our last math test.
Quinn was our star student this week! We learned her favorite color is green, she likes to eat hamburgers and her favorite books are Biscuit books! She enjoys the sport of softball and she loves to play with her friends when we are in school. Three super cool facts that we learned about Quinn are… 1. She has spotted a Manatee before in Florida. 2. She has a family of geese living on her pond. 3. She has two friends that live right by her. Thanks for being a wonderful star student this week, Quinn!
A big “thank you” goes out Mrs. Shisler (Kayla’s mom) for our May book donation! Mrs. Shisler’s family and friends donated money so we could get a new book each month! This month, our book was “Never Let a Dinosaur Scribble” by Diane Alber.
- We still have our rest time/whiteboard time daily, so please send back those washed towels/blankets on Monday, May 23.
- Many of our whiteboard markers are starting to run out. If you wish, you may send in new markers for your child. I will make sure they get in their whiteboard marker pouch.
- Snack Time: Please send two healthy snacks with your child every day and discuss with your child which snack is for the morning and which one is for afternoon.
- The kindergarten teachers are planning for our annual kindergarten olympics and we are looking for some help with making this time “extra special” for your child. If you are interested and would like to donate to our Kindergarten Olympics please check out our Olympics Sign Up link: Kindergarten Olympics.
- If you are interested in volunteering for our annual kindergarten olympics, please let me know! Olympics will be held on the morning of June 2.
- Monday, May 23…Music
- Tuesday, May 24…Gym, Library, Take Home Books Due
- Wednesday, May 25..Art
- Thursday, May 26…STEAM, Wear Red, White and Blue, “Bring Take Home” books to school:)
- Friday, May 27…No School
- Monday, May 30…No School, Memorial Day